Did you know that the sunflower has been highly recognized plant in skin- and cosmetic care for thousands of years? American Indians grew it already 3000 years B.C. Sunflower was used to cool down snakebites. Indians spread the valuable sunflower oil on skin and hair.
Sunflower oil was long associated as an oil for salad dressing and cooking oil. Nowadays grocery stores have mainly olive oil and canola oil so it is not easy to find sunflower oil in shops anymore.
Sunflower oil in cosmetics is very useful. Sunflower oil is widely used in cosmetic industry. It is considered as one of the best oils in skincare. There are several supreme features in sunflower oil. If you prefer to use only one oil in your cosmetics, then sunflower oil is secure choice. When selecting oil make sure it is cold-pressed (virgin) and organic quality.
What are the supreme features of sunflower oil?
- Skin absorbs the sunflower oil very well. The texture of sunflower oil suits skin perfectly and does not leave the surface of skin greasy.
- Extremely good basic oil for many purposes like herb extracts and other mixtures. It is gentle, mild oil. Most skincare products for babies contains sunflower oil.
- Well moisturizing oil. Sunflower oil contains vitamins which help skin to preserve its moisture; fresh, virgin sunflower is rich of vitamin E. In addition, it has A, C and D-vitamins. It is worth of double checking the quality of oil, it must be fresh and properly stored in order to preserve all vitamins.
- Sunflower oil does not block the skin bores; there are only few oils suitable to acne-skin and sunflower oil is one of them. If you want to prepare cream suitable to acne-skin the texture of oils you use is crucial.
- Sunflower oil prevents the signs of ageing. The antioxidants in sunflower oil are fighting against oxidation reaction on your skin. Sunflower oil contains plenty of vitamin E that is a very strong antioxidant. Vitamin E works direct on your skin. Collagen and spandex of your skin will be more flexible longer.
- Relief skin’s roughness and redness. Sunflower oil has anti-inflammation effects. Annoyed, red skin will cool down quickly after spreading sunflower oil on it. Omega 6 fatty acid prevents inflammation on skin.
- Sunflower oil is easy to get and inexpensive. Availability and price of materials are important factors when preparing own cosmetics. Many so-called quality oils may be out of reach. You cannot find them from local supermarket and you have to order them from online shop, often from another county. In case you have to buy a big bottle of sunflower oil and you need only small quantity for cosmetics, you can always use the rest for salad dressing and baking. Many other oils are not suitable for cooking.
How can I use sunflower oil?
Sunflower oil is a multi-purpose oil and therefore one of the best oils. Here you have some of the best ideas how and where to use sunflower oil.
- Direct to the skin. Yes indeed you can spread sunflower oil direct on your skin. It does not require any additives. Wash your hands and dry them. Take few drops of sunflower oil to your hands and rub them together. Now you can rub smoothly your face or any other, pre-cleaned part of your body using your hands.
- Haircare; sunflower oil takes care of your sculp efficiently. Let small quantity of drops of oil stay in your sculp overnight. The sculp feels well moisturized in the morning. The hair does not feel greasy if you used the oil suitable amount, just few drops. If you want just wash your hair in the morning. If you prepare a hair mask using sunflower oil, it is easy to wash away from your hair. This is not self-clear with all the oils.
- Oil extracts; You can make traditional oil extracts using sunflower oil. An extract based on sunflower oil suits for many purposes. It is mild and causes no allergic reactions to most.
- Skin cleaning using oil; if you want to make your life easier and more simple, get yourself a bottle of sunflower oil. You can clean your face using the oil in the evenings. You can remove a light make-up as well. For waterproof make-ups you need stronger cleaner.
How do I get sunflower oil?
It is relatively easy to purchase sunflower oil. You can find it from supermarket’s selection. Just bear in mind that the oil you buy must be oil-pressed, “extra virgin” -quality. Organic oil is even better but not a must. Never buy a sunflower oil for cooking. Cooking oils do not work on skin.
If you buy from online shop always remember ask the best before -date. Generally oils will last 2 years from manufacturing date. Fresher is better. Some shops selling mainly natural products are best places to buy; some of the shops know even how to store the oils – in the fridge.
How do I store the oil
You should always keep, as mentioned above, cold-pressed sunflower oil in the fridge. After opening the bottle oil gets in touch with oxygen and contamination starts. You can slow down this process by protecting the oil from light and temperature. That is why the fridge is the best place for your oil.
You should always buy the oil in dark glass bottles. Glass is safe package. It does not release any particles to the product and it is easy to recycle. Dark glass bottle protects the oil from manufacturer to you fridge.
Sunflower oil has several great features and it is definitely worth of using in cosmetics. You can find diy-recipes from recipes page.
Did you find this information useful?
Are you familiar with sunflower oil and if yes, how have you used it before?